Here, we continue the series of exploring old style roundels. This is the second part of the rare roundels on the network. So enjoy and explore the network for these ones too!
Caledonian Road (Piccadilly line)
Where to find: front end of both westbound and eastbound platforms
It is rare to find at Caledonian Road station two of these ‘bullseye’ style roundels at the front end of both platforms! The top photo is front of the westbound platform and the easiest to take. The other one on the eastbound platform and the bottom photo was a little too far out of reach but can still be seen. We saw these also at Covent Garden and Ealing Broadway (see part 1 for more details). Caledonian Road is one of few stations to have lifts directly serving the platforms from the ticket hall for its era in 1906 (many stations in that era involves walking a set of stairs) – a perfect example of step free access (even they did not know that at the time!). The other station that has this is the Piccadilly line platforms at Earl’s Court which opened in the same year as Caledonian Road.
Morden (Northern line)
Where to find: shelter section of island platforms
The southern most station on the Northern line, Morden has a small number of these signs (though very remains). This wasn’t originally going to be the terminus of the Northern line. The original plan was to continue to Sutton in which the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL) had a stake in part of the route for the unbuilt Wimbledon and Sutton Railway. Southern Railway unfortunately did not want the line to go to Sutton and made an agreement with UERL to end the extension from Clapham Common to end at Morden. To some, they feel this was an opportunity missed. But the line from Morden does continue a little way to the depot. Even though Southern Railway did built their line, the connections between this and the Northern line would be tricky today as the railways are at different levels.
South Wimbledon (Northern line)
Where to find: on the northbound and southbound platforms
This is a rarity – this signage has a suffix added – Merton. Two of these such signs exist at the station. The trouble with South Wimbledon is that the station is in fact in Merton and nowhere near Wimbledon – it is actually over 2 miles away. The station was originally going to be called Merton Grove but that didn’t seem right to the planners, perhaps Wimbledon was more important than Merton?
St. James’s Park (Circle and District lines)
Where to find: near front of eastbound platform
This is a really old sign! But it appears this one is different – and that is because of the way it has been spelt. The extra ‘s’ is grammatically correct but it seems at the time this sign was made, that was the accepted way of how the station should be spelt. This sign is dated in the late 1920s and is the original one. All others had their name plate changed to the present day format. The station is part of 55 Broadway, the current headquarters of London Underground and the building was designed by architect, Charles Holden who is famous for designing many station buildings such as Sudbury Town and Tooting Broadway.
Sudbury Town (Piccadilly line)
Where to find: in the shelter section of the platform
Sudbury Town is a classic station – because it is the only Tube station that has a slightly variant of the Johnston typeface – it is called Johnston Delf and puts serif to the Johnston typeface. The station is the only one to have it entirely. Even the modern versions of the roundel exhibit the Johnston Delf typeface. But this is not the only station that has it, Cockfosters station has it too. Back to Sudbury Town, the station building is of classic design, brick box with a concrete lid – designed by Charles Holden. The building was Grade II listed in 2011.
West Brompton (District line)
Where to find: near the stairwells of the platform
Last but not least, we have West Brompton. The letter W cross over is clearly seen but the rest of the typeface looks pretty old too. It looks like this one was mounted at the time of opening. The London Overground station, although part of the network from 2007 was actually a later addition and opened in 1999 as part of the West London Line. There was an original station that opened in 1866 by the West London Extension Joint Railway but when the Second World War occurred, this station was damaged in 1940 and subsequently closed. West Brompton station was also an alternative to get to the Earl’s Court Exhbition Centre until 2014 when it closed. But it is a good way of getting to Kensington (Olympia) station during the week (via Overground) when the District line doesn’t run except for the weekend.
And there you go! Come back soon for the second part of the old style roundel series, next we will be focussing on the old style roundels that are plentiful at some stations.